The Castle of Parga is located on the top of a hill overlooking the town and was used to protect the town from the mainland and the sea. It was initially built in the 11th century by the residents of Parga to protect it from the pirates and the Turks.
In the 13th century, as their control of the region increased, the Venetians rebuilt the castle to fortifythe area.
In 1452, Parga and the castle was occupied by the Ottomans for two years. During that time part of the castle was demolished.